How Can We Help?
Pellet Grill Buying Guide
Manually Igniting Z Grills Pellet Grill
If the ignition rod has failed, you can still use the grill by manually lighting the fire. Once a fire is established, the grill can be turned on and run as normal. Follow the instructions below to light the fire manually.
- Place some wood pellets in the hopper and remove the grill racks, grease pan, and heat baffle.
- Pour 1/2 cup of wood pellets into the firepot. Do NOT add too many pellets!
- Place a fire-lighter cube into the firepot or squirt a small amount of fire lighting gel onto the pellets. DO NOT use alcohol, petrol, or any other flammable liquids. Never add any fire lighting gel to an already lit fire.
- Carefully light the pellets with a long match or long reach fire lighter.
- Alternatively, a gas torch can be used to light the pellets.
- Once there is a fire in the firepot, switch the grill ON and turn to the desired temperature setting. The grill will still go through the normal startup cycle and drop lots of pellets, so expect to see a lot of smoke during startup.
- Carefully replace the heat baffle, grease tray, and grilling racks.
- Wait for the big cloud of smoke to clear before closing the lid.
- Run the grill as per normal operation.
Table of Contents